Finn and the Swirly Spin (NetEnt): Review
The first thing to catch ones eye is the absence of reels and rows. This is a slot that seems to have more in common with a video game than a slot machine, which is something we tend to see more and more nowadays. With cute graphics, relaxing music, and a frustrating mechanic that will haunt you in your dreams, this slot has all the ingredients to become a favorite with many players.
Finn and the Swirly Spin centers around a leprechaun called Finn who lives on Emerald Isle. Skilled as Finn may be at playing the flute, there is some real concern that players may want to shove that flute up his *** after a bad session on this slot. Either way, the game comes loaded with a wild (the star), a free spins key, four different free spin features and a random feature with four variations.
We mentioned the absence of reels, but actually this game can be categorized as a 5 reel, 5 row slot with a spiral pattern instead of the normal layout. Your goal in the base game is to get the key from the first position all the way to the center of the reel set, 24 steps away. This will unlock the bonus feature. Winning combination will vanish and clear the path for the key to move forward. Essentially, you want the symbols to clear so it can reveal further wins or a bonus. Any losing spin, however, will result in the key starting all over again from its starting position. Each winning combination will also produce a wild symbol in the form of a star. This is, of course, very helpful to get the key to where you want it.
Finn and the Swirly Spin is a medium variance slot that can be played from between 10 cents and 100€ per spin, offering a 96.61% RTP.
Finn and the Swirly Spin Random (NetEnt): Features
The game comes with no less than four random features, which are activated once all symbols have come to rest on a spin:
- Starfall Wilds: Minimum 2 Wilds are randomly placed on any position, except on top of the locked key symbol. If no win occurs, more Wilds are added until a win is hit
- Dragon Destroy: A random number of symbols are destroyed, activating another avalanche
- Irish Luck: A vertical or horizontal line is transformed into one symbol, guaranteeing a win
- Magic Transform: All spade and heart symbols are transformed into a higher value symbol
Finn and the Swirly Spin (NetEnt): Free Spins
On top of the random features, the game surprised us with four types of Free Spins. The bonus feature is activated when the locked key symbol makes it to the center of the swirl on one spin. Each Free Spins feature needs a specific amount of collected keys to be open for selection.
- The Star Bar – 1 key: 7 Free Spins with the Starfall Wilds feature
- Lava Lair – 4 keys: 3 Free Spins with the Dragon Destroy feature
- Lucky Mug – 9 keys: 4 Free Spins with the Irish Luck feature
- Golden Pot – 16 keys: 2 Free Spins with the Magic Transform feature
If you enjoyed playing Finn and the Swirly Spin, be sure to check out the sequel Finn's Golden Tavern, a 5x5 grid cluster pays slot that makes use of the same spiral spin mechanic.