It’s time to help some flightless fellows escape Penguin City, where the mighty Penguin Emperor is keeping his minuscule underlings as slaves in his dastardly food emporium!
Penguin Escape Mode with Sticky Wilds
1647 times the stake max win
Penguin City Introduction
Penguin City is a Video Slot with 5 reels, 3 rows and 243 ways. The game pays both ways and with Win all Ways there are no paylines. Any combination of 3 or more symbols on subsequent reels from the left or right awards a win. It is playable on all devices from €0.10 to €125.
Penguin City takes place in a chinese restaurant and centers around 3 penguin kitchen workers forced to do all the dirty work. Fed up with being bullied by the master chef they are constantly planning their escape. The anmiated backdrop shows the penguins walking about in the restaurant, bugs crawling along the reelset and chinese lanterns calmly swinging in the breeze. Very well done!
It almost appears as if the slot has been inspired by Dreamwork’s famous Penguins of Madagascar.
Penguin City Symbols
The game includes 9 regular symbols, 1 sticky wild symbol and 1 Emperor Penguin symbol. The low value symbols are represented by wooden card suits of different color, while the premium symbols are represented by various food related items such as – boxes of noodles, soy sauce, cooking pots, noodle soup and chopping knives with the noodlebox being the most lucrative one paying 10x for 5 across a full payline.
Penguin City Features
Penguin City does not have a traditional free spins game, instead the game’s standout feature is the Penguin Escape Mode which is triggered as soon a Wild appears on 2nd or 4th reel during a winning spin. This wild stays Sticky for the duration of the Escape mode, which respins until a winless spin.
During the Escape Mode, after every spin the player has the chance to either get an additional Sticky Wild on 2nd or 4th reel, or a winning symbol on the 3rd reel. As an additional bonus one can hit a stacked Emperor Stacked Wild, which moves down one row per spin and basically guarantees respins until it’s off the reels!
- Win on a wild symbol in the base game to activate the Penguin Escape mode
- During the Penguin Escape 1 penguin tries to escape each spin (unless the Penguin Emperor is
- If the Penguin successfully jumps on the reels, then 1 of 2 things happen: 1 sticky wild is added to reel 2 or 4 on winning spins or 1 symbol is swaped on reel 3 to create a win on losing spins
- Increasing the bet size resets all sticky wilds and ends the Penguin escape mode
- Missing a win also ends the Penguin escape mode
Emperor Penguin (Stacked Wild)
- The Emperor Penguin appears on the third reel in the Penguin escape mode
- He is made up of 3 vertical wild symbols
- He guarantees a win when any part of him is present on the reels
- The Penguin Emperor is a walking wild that moves down by one reel position each spin until he disappears from the reels
Penguin City Conclusion
Penguin City is a visual masterpiece there is no doubt about that. It’s a shame however that the engine behind it is not on the same level of awesomeness. The game does not have a traditional free spins game, instead the Penguin Escape Mode is frequently triggered and keeps the action level high. This feature reminds us a bit of the one found in another Yggdrasil slot called Golden Monkey.
This is a low to medium variance game with a 96.2% RTP and a max win of 1647 times the stake which is quite low. It is a fun game nonetheless and a bit intriguing despite its low variance. It might even be one of the more entertaining low paying slots we’ve played in a while we must admit.
Penguin City is due for general release on July 24 but is available right now on LeoVegas.