Elemental Princess: Overview
Yggdrasil Gaming partner studio Dreamtech journeys to their favoured corner of the slot market – the Asian theme section. Elemental Princess is based around four princesses, each one unleashing a unique power and reward during modifiers or free spins. Players can look forward to floating wilds, sticky wilds, spreading wilds, and win multipliers.
Elemental Princess has a gentle look, its background changing to match whichever princess is active. This could be anything from cherry blossoms, rolling hills, light green trees, or bamboo stalks. When the four ladies are brought together, the gang looks like an Asian version of Alphonse Mucha’s Art Nouveau illustrations of the four seasons. The action takes place on a 5 reel, 3-row game area set within a tastefully decorated wooden structure. Players get 25 fixed paylines to hit winners on, occurring when three or more land adjacently from the leftmost reel.
Playable from 30 p/c to £/€150 per spin on mobiles, tablets, or desktop devices, the game produces a range of stats - some solid, some not so exciting. Let’s start with one of the better ones – the RTP which is comfortably above average at 96.46%. Wins land quite regularly to keep the pace up too. Officially 34.21% of spins will return something, paired with medium volatility. Overall, the potential is pretty disappointing though, in fact, it’s possibly the least inspiring aspect of Elemental Princess. But we'll get to that.
Before the big reveal takes place, a quick look over the paytable where there are 10 pays, and a bunch of special symbols. Pay symbols start with 9-A card royals, followed by 4 high pays designed in an earth, air, fire, and water style. Premium values aren’t bad, at the upper levels at least, ranging from 6 to 40 times the stake for 5 of a kind.
Helping form combinations are not one but five wild symbols. While they might look different, they all essentially do the same thing – substitute for the regular pays. They are the most lucrative symbols in the game, where a line of 5 is worth 80 times the stake. The most common is the standard wild, the remaining four wilds appear during the features.
Elemental Princess: Features
There are shades of Play’n GO’s Moon Princess going on here, and not just in the title. Each princess can modify the reels in their own unique way when activated, while the four free spins features are based around them. However, it doesn’t get anywhere near as chaotic as Play’n GO’s slot.
On any base game spin, there is a chance a Princess Spin modifier may be awarded. There are 4 types:
- The Earth Princess Spin turns all standard wilds into Earth Princess Wilds. Any high paying symbol next to an Earth Princess Wild is also transformed into an Earth Princess Wild.
- On a Water Princess Spin, all standard wilds turn into Water Princess Wilds, and 2, 3, 5, or 10 of these symbols are placed in random positions on the reels.
- Fire Princess Spins change standard wilds into Fire Princess Wilds, plus a multiplier of x2, x3, x5, or x10 is applied to any wins.
- If the Air Princess Spin is awarded, all standard wilds change into Air Princess Wilds, and a Floating Mega Wild appears over the reels, up to 3x3 in size.
Next is the Free Games feature which is triggered in two different ways. One is when 3 or more scatter symbols are in view; the second is the Lucky Feature Trigger and Re-Trigger. This latter method can trigger the Free Games feature from the base game, or retrigger it if it's already active.
After the trigger, a selection screen chooses one of the four Princess features. Each one starts with 10 free spins and can be retriggered when 3 or more scatters land, or the Lucky Feature Retrigger occurs. Depending on which Princess feature is triggered, this is what you can look forward to:
- Earth Princess free spins use Spreading Wilds. Wilds become Earth Princess Wilds, which then turn any adjacent high pay symbols into Earth Princess Wilds as well.
- Water Princess free spins come with Held Wilds. Any Water Princess Wilds appearing are locked and remain in position for the remainder of the feature.
- Next are Fire Princess free spins which use a Win Multiplier. During this feature, any Fire Princess Wilds in view increase the win multiplier by +1.
- Lastly, are Air Princess free spins and Floating Mega Wilds. The round starts with a 1x2 Floating Mega Wild on the reels in a random position. On each free spin, it moves to a new position. Also, whenever an Air Princess Wild appears, it is collected. When 2, 5, or 9 have been collected the Floating Mega Wild increases to 2x2, 2x3, or 3x3 in size.
Elemental Princess: Verdict
While there are some cute qualities, Elemental Princess is certainly not a high powered, mega thrills slot. The steady win rate could be enough to keep the dopamine hits kicking along for casual gamers while they spin for the big bucks, but the main problem is the bucks just aren’t that big. Even when the princesses work their magic, the most you’ll be able to tap from the game is 1,666 times the stake - an ok number should it happen, but more realistic are wins in the range of 100-500x.
Despite four different free games, including one with an increasing win multiplier, Elemental Princess is not a high potential slot. It isn’t bad looking though, and the four princesses might be doe-eyed enough to pull in players heavily into Asian culture. Following on from the point, Elemental Princess is a lot like a Japanese tea ceremony. Precise, ordered, harmonious, a bit slow. That’s great for relaxing with a cup of green chai, not the best option for hardcore gamers ready to cut loose on the reels.
Elemental Princess is an Asian-themed low-potential slot that’s primarily geared toward casual players.