Flower Fortunes Megaways (Fantasma Games): Review
Fantasma Games is a small Stockholm based studio that, according to information published on the official website, currently has 10 employees and a portfolio of 8 titles. Admittedly, it is a developer that has slipped under our radar and, if not for the Megaways license, it would likely have remained that way. Upon hearing news of Flower Fortunes Megaways, we turned directly to Fantasma to see if we could try it, and having been promised access, what ensued next was a couple of days back-and-forth emails trying to login to the client area (as none of the credentials would work) until Fantasma suddenly stopped responding altogether. Who knows, maybe they found some of our reviews to be a bit too candid. Unfortunately for Fantasma, ghosting us won't save them from our scrutiny.
It's always exciting to see how developers make use of the Megaways game engine. So far, Blueprint has undoubtedly been most successful, although Red Tiger, NextGen and Relax Gaming all have shown great potential and will surely put up a fight. Today, however, we'll take a look at how Fantasma Games has used the successful formula in its first Megaways offering entitled Flower Fortunes Megaways, a 6-reel slot that can expand to give you up to 531,441 ways to win. You can play it across all devices from 50 cents to 10 Euros per spin.
Visually, Flower Fortunes Megaways could be described as a mix between Super Mario and NetEnt's Finn and the Swirly Spin. Here, we're invited to a world in bloom inhabited by a diversity of plants and told by the developer to "wake the dreaming flower and enjoy its fortune". It's entirely clear to us right from the start that Fantasma has ambitions to provide us with an experience that takes us beyond gambling, crossing over into the world of video games. Having been optimised for a one-handed mobile gaming experience, however, the narrow reel set does look a bit awkward on desktop computers where much of the game area is just a lot of backdrop.
The visual design is delightfully gorgeous and could indeed pass for a high-definition Nintendo Switch game. Set in a beautiful green valley with a dreamy soundtrack to enhance the mood, symbols on the reels include 5 lower value stone blocks along with more rewarding turquoise, green, purple and red gems, the latter being the most lucrative, giving you 10 times your stake for 6 of a kind. The star is the wild and substitutes for all standard symbols. There's also a set of special symbols which we will cover further below.
Utilising the Megaways game engine, each spin is entirely independent and will randomly give you between 64 and 531,441 ways to win. Flower Fortunes Megaways also benefits from a wide range of modifier extras that you activate by collecting orbs.
Flower Fortunes Megaways (Fantasma Games): Features
Flower Fortunes Megaways is all about making progress through the 5 different Game Levels indicated by the stalk which is positioned to the left of the reels. Not only does each level come with a unique set of features, but they also offer different volatility (from low to very high) as well as bigger win potential through increased betways. Progress is made by collecting orb, where each orb will increase the meter by 1 step. However, if a leaf appears, it will reduce it by 1.
As mentioned, levelling up also increases the betways - each new level will give you a 1 row increase up to a maximum of 9 rows. If you reach the top level, you will be playing on a 6x9 reel set with potential for up to 531,411 Megaways with all features remaining activated as you progress. Hence, on level 5 you can trigger all of the 4 modifier extras listed below on the same spin:
- Level 1 - the default level comes with no extra features and is played on a 6x5 reel set, offering up to 15,625 ways to win.
- Level 2 - collecting 4 orbs activates level 2. Played on a 6x6 reel set with up to 46,656 ways to win, you'll benefit from Expanding Multiplier Wilds. Any wild that appears on the reels will expand to give you a fully stacked wild along with a random multiplier up to x9. The multipliers are multiplied by each other, meaning there's serious potential involved should you connect a few of them.
- Level 3 - 8 orbs will get you to level 3 where you'll be playing on a 6x7 reel set with up to 117,649 ways to win. The Respin feature also comes into play here - when the Respin symbol appears on the reels, a random number of non-winning standard symbols are replaced with new symbols, including the bonus scatter, wilds or even symbol replacers.
- Level 4 - collecting 12 orbs will get you to level 4 which offers action on a 6x8 reel set and up to 246,144 ways to win. It's all about landing 3 or more bonus scatters here to trigger the Mystery Flower Bonus feature. More on that further below so keep reading.
- Level 5 - 16 orbs will take you all the way to the top which is played in a 6x9 reel set with a maximum of 531,441 ways to win. The game mechanic now shifts to Avalanche mode Bonanza style - when you land a winning combination, the contributing symbols are removed and replaced with new symbols. The cycle repeats as long as you keep winning. Furthermore, every subsequent cascade increases the win multiplier by x1.
While playing at level 4 or 5, look out for the bonus scatter as 3 or more anywhere on the reels will trigger the Mystery Flower Bonus feature. Once in, you will be asked to pick 1 of 3 mystery flowers to reveal a cash prize of up to 1000 times your stake. You can then either collect your prize or play again in hope of a better reward.
Flower Fortunes Megaways (Fantasma Games): Verdict
As a Megaways slot, Fantasma undoubtedly makes creative use of the celebrated game engine in ways we've not seen before, delivering both originality and innovation. It also introduces a steady stream of exciting features and unexpected mechanics as you move up and down between the levels. As a result, you never really feel that it suffers from not having a proper free spins feature. The potential is outstanding as well - land a combination of expanding multiplier wilds on level 5 and you can win a mind-blowing 18 840 times your stake (max observed win in test runs of 1 billion spins).
Due to its modern design, Flower Fortunes Megaways might not appeal to those more into traditional slot machines. For such players it will likely come across as a bit over-complicated, feature-heavy, and possibly even childish. The design is also a bit odd we have to say. While it looks great on mobile devices, on computers it's awkwardly narrow, failing to make full use of the screen. Even if not a deal-breaker, optimising it for desktop computers would have been prefered in order to enhance the experience.
Overall, Flower Fortunes Megaways is by far the most interesting title Fantasma Games has managed to come up with, and even if that doesn't say much given how limited the portfolio is, it's still fascinating to see that Megaways can work wonders for any provider, big or small.
If you enjoyed playing Flower Fortunes, make sure to check out Fantasma's second Megaways title Medallion Megaways.
Game title: Flower Fortunes Megaways
● Reels: 6
● Rows: 9
● Betways: 64 - 531,441
● RTP: 96.0%
● Hit Freq: 44.61%
● Max Payout: 18 480x
● Volatility: L to H
● Bets: 0.50 - 10 EUR
● Features: Level Up Feature, Mystery Flower Bonus Game
● Release Date: Out Now