Lil' Devil (Big Time Gaming): Overview
You know how Big Time Gaming likes to build their games around famous hit songs? Well, if you happen to be a fan of British rock band The Cult, you probably already have an idea of what's coming your way. So far, Big Time Gaming has embellished our gaming experience with music from the bands Electric Six (Danger! High Voltage), Europe (The Final Countdown), and Dio (Holy Diver). Now looking to further expand its collection of these popular concept games, Lil' Devil is to be added to that list.
The Cult (not to be confused with The Cure) is a hard rock band formed in Bradford, England in 1983 that gained a following in the UK with singles such as "She Sells Sanctuary" before breaking through in the US in the late 80s. The track "Lil' Devil", which appears on the album Electric (1987), was produced by Rick Rubin who has become known for his work on massively successful releases from the likes of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica and Linkin Park.
Although it has not officially been advertised as such (at the time of writing), Lil' Devil shares enough similarities with Danger! High Voltage and The Final Countdown to establish it as the third installment of the series. Just like the former two, it's not a Megaways offering but is built using 6 reels, 4 fixed rows and 4,096 ways to win. Extremely volatile, as Big Time Gaming slots are typically known to be, it has a RTP of between 96.31% - 96.43%. In case you're wondering, the variation in RTP is the result of the newly introduced Heartstopper™ feature that gives you enhanced free spins and which you will read more about further below.
Visually, Lil' Devil has an apocalyptic feel to it. With a backdrop dominated by yellow and orange colour grading, it looks as if the world has been set ablaze or a sand storm of epic proportions has swept over. As a tribute to the gold-rush themed slot Bonanza, you'll see a wooden shack in the background, and just below the reels, poppy flowers sway gently in the wind. It may not be the best looking slot we've ever seen, but there's still something very intriguing about it as it has plenty of that Big Time Gaming personality that fans love.
Going through the paytable, we can conclude that its dominated by six lower-value symbols that are represented by the usual 9, 10, J, Q, K and A royal values. More rewarding are the picture symbols of the alligator, the lizard in a bottle, scorpion and the locked purple heart. The latter is the most lucrative, giving you 10 times your stake for a six of a kind combination. The female devil is the wild - it appears on all reels but the first and substitutes for all symbols except the scatter. There is also an Angel Wild that appears fully stacked in the middle section only (reel 3 and 4). Moreover, it comes with multipliers that carry values of between 4x - 12x. Land two of these on the middle reels and they can combine to give you multipliers of up to 144x.
Lil' Devil (Big Time Gaming): Features
Lil' Devil comes packed with features, including a newly trademarked one that makes its first appearance in this slot. First, however, we begin with the Free Spins features. To trigger the bonus, you will have to land 3 or more scatter symbols anywhere in view - landing two of them will launch The Cult's song Lil' Devil and award a heart (more on that later). Upon doing so, you will be faced with two options:
- Be My Angel Free Spins - Starting with 7 free spins, one of the regular symbols is randomly chosen to act as the sticky wild. If it hits anywhere on reels 2 through to 5, it will transform into a sticky wild and remain in position for the rest of the round. If you manage to get a full reel of sticky wilds, you will be awarded 3 additional spins. Better yet, if it happens on reel 3 or 4, it will transform into an Angel Wild that will set you off with a multiplier of 4x and increase by 2 with each spin up to a maximum of 12x. With two of these, you could potentially be playing with multipliers of up to 144x.
- Dynamite Lover Free Spins - Starting with 12 free spins, all symbols part of a winning combination, except scatters, are part of a reaction and are replaced by symbols dropping in from above. Dynamite Wilds may also appear on the two central reels - these increase by 1 on each cascade that they're part of and multiply each other. You can also retrigger this feature by landing 3 or more scatters which will give you 6 extra free spins (additional scatters award an extra 6 spins each).
Rewinding things a bit, remember that we mentioned how 2 scatters in the base game will award a heart? Well, once you've collected 40 of these, as indicated by the meters on both sides of the reels, the Heartstopper™ Enhanced Free Spins feature activates. Once again, you get to chose from the same two free spins features, although this time, they come with additional benefits:
- Enhanced Be My Angel Free Spins - The top paying symbol (purple heart) is now also designated a sticky wild.
- Enhanced Dynamite Lover Free Spins - The multiplier of the Dynamite Wild starts at 5x as opposed to 1x in standard mode.
Lil' Devil (Big Time Gaming): Verdict
As you have probably figured out already, Lil' Devil is a slot with a strong resemblance to Danger! High Voltage, which is not a bad thing by any means. In fact, we're relieved to see Big Time Gaming go back to something more straightforward and dumbed-down after a couple of slightly more intricate releases that have required a bit more brain activity from players. Whether it's an improvement to the other two games in the series is up for debate, but Lil' Devil is undoubtedly another step forward for the provider and a welcomed addition that will offer players plenty of tense gameplay and thrilling sessions.
Moreover, the Heartstopper™ feature also serves the game well, acting as a little side game that gives you something extra to put your hope into every time that scatter tease gives you the middle finger. In that sense, Lil' Devil follows in the footsteps of Kingmaker, another slot where you don't want to trigger the feature too soon. To conclude, Lil' Devil is another outstanding release from the Australians and a worthy follow up to Danger! High Voltage and The Final Countdown. Insanely volatile, it also comes packed with huge potential that will make sure to keep everyone and their mother on the edge.
Lil' Devil (Big Time Gaming)
● Reels: 6
● Rows: 4
● Paylines: 4096
● RTP: 96.31 - 96.43%
● Max Payout: 50,000x
● Variance: H
● Bets: 0.10 - 20 EUR
● Features: Devil Wilds, Angel Wilds, Be My Angel Free Spins, Dynamite Lover Free Spins, Heartstopper Enhanced Free Spins
● Release Date: Out Now!
Bigwinboard Rating - 95%